Monday, August 26, 2013

Mac and Cheese Disappointments

Everyone has fond memories of mac and cheese from childhood. Nothing was more exciting than hearing you mother tell you that a box of Kraft (because let's face it, the off brands just never compared) was on the menu. It was creamy and cheesy, comforting because it was familiar and the taste never changed. So when my first serious boyfriend offered to make some shells and cheese I was quite reluctant. He was insistent that I would like it. I took one bite of the half-cooked shells, faked a smile, and told him they were a bit crunchy. Then he tried them and totally got my expression. The next day, he was unfortunate enough to have to eat my eggs, which may rock now, but totally sucked at 15.

Fast forward two years, and my now ex husband tries to make me mac and cheese when I was sick. He may have nailed the consistency of the noodles, but he had an epic fail on the cheese. Instead of milk and butter, he used pure water. I would have been better off eating the box.

Sometimes are memories play tricks on us. We like to remember things as better than the way they actually were. Last night I was talking to a friend and suddenly realized how bad my last engagement actually was verses how I try to remember it. Just because the majority of the relationship wasn't bad, it does not mean it was good either. It's like mac and cheese, the memories of the taste of properly made macaroni does not make the stuff you are currently eating any less disgusting.

Since becoming an adult, regular mac and cheese no longer cuts it. I find myself adding things like bacon, hotdogs, or onions. This brings me to my next point, being good, doesn't make something great. On Saturday night I picked up an old friend and took my son to the park. It was fun, not just because we are good friends, but because we created fun. He decided to crash a Mexican baptism and grab a beer. I stood outside while he walked in. Once inside a girl asked him who he knew at the party, and he said, "Jose." While this is completely racist, it was also hilarious. The girl proceed to inform him she has seen him with his girl outside. (Given my blonde hair and blue eyes I don't make a good Mexican.) He informed her that I was in fact not his girl and just a friend. Meanwhile the men at the party were only concerned that he was old enough to drink.

Obviously, this was probably the most I had laughed in a while, as well as being a great memory and drinking story. My point of this story, is that while that is my funny memory, it didn't make the action any more right. Not only should he have not crashed the party, but he shouldn't have been drinking for multiple reasons. Yet, when I reflect on this night later on, I can say with almost complete certainty that other people will find it funny too.

We have to put up with the bad sometimes to see the good in the entire picture. Today I wrote a blog entirely based on the concept of mac and cheese. Because two of my exes couldn't cook, I got to take away memories to share. I want to leave you with this: you are in the memories of many other people and one day they are going to pull out those memories and while they may have been a disappointment to you, they are hilarious to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment